How great was it to watch football games that actually counted this weekend? Every year we are so excited when the preseason starts because we haven’t seen a game in six months. But by the second week of watching third stringers run the most vanilla offense possible, we are counting down the days till the real games to start!
Thursday night got us off to a great start with Tom Brady showing the NFL that he is going to take out his frustration from this offseason by shredding defenses. Brady was helped by Pittsburgh looking confused at times and forgetting to cover Rob Gronkowski. Gronk showed no ill effects from a summer spent on the Gronk party bus by scoring three touchdowns. The Pats look like they are ready to defend the title, and they don’t care what anyone thinks about them.
If you haven’t done so already, do yourself a favor and get the RedZone channel. When your favorite team isn’t playing, RedZone is the best. No Commercials, just football. Week 1 gave us upsets, overtime games, and best of all, the feeling that football is back!
Here are ten things I’m watching for heading into Week 2:
- Time to Panic? Is it possible that two of the Super Bowl favorites could be 0-2 after Week 2? The Colts and Seahawks were surprised in Week 1 and now face tough matchups in Week 2. The Colts were destroyed by the Buffalo Bills and now face a Jets team that handled the Cleveland Browns easily. Is it possible that the aging veterans that the Colts signed to their offense are just old? And as the Seahawks head to Green Bay, could they be missing Max Unger more than they thought? More on this game later.
- Mariota to the Hall of Fame? It is an American tradition to over react after the first week of the season. That being said, Marcus Mariota looked really good on Sunday. He was making decisions extremely quick, he was accurate, and the offense was built around him. For the first time in years, Tennessee has some hope. Let’s see if he can keep it going against the Browns.
- Is This the End? Peyton Manning and the entire Denver Broncos offense struggled in their first game. Manning looked slow and had no zip on his throws. The offensive line couldn’t run or pass block, but other than that they did great. Looks like the Defense will carry the offense for a while until they can figure out what is wrong. If not, it’s Brock Osweiler time! Get excited.
- First round pick regrets? For some of you fantasy players, you might be a little worried after poor performances by a few of the top picks. As mentioned above, The Broncos offense did nothing and C.J Anderson was a big part of that. And on Monday night, Adrian Peterson couldn’t quite get going for Minnesota as he was coming back from a year off. If you are in my league and have had enough already, I’ll gladly take these guys off your hands.
- At Least the weather was nice? On a beautiful day in Jacksonville. The 2015 Jags looked a lot like the 2014 Jags. The defense did a good job of shutting down Greg Olsen but couldn’t stop the Panthers on many key third downs. On offense, Jacksonville receivers struggled to catch the ball and Blake Bortles threw another pick six. But the fans looked like they were enjoying the pool. Things don’t get any easier next week with the Dolphins coming to town.
- Does he think he’s Elway? Josh McCown had visions of John Elway’s famous helicopter play from Super Bowl XXXII. The play inspired Elway’s team and they scored a touchdown a few plays later. The same thing happened to McCown except that he fumbled and was knocked out of the game. So close. But that did allow us to watch Johnny Football. Manziel started out with his first touchdown pass put followed that with three turnovers. I’m interested to see what he can do in Week 2 when he can prepare like the starter.
- Get Well Dez. Following in the steps of the Packers and Panthers, the Cowboys lost their top receiver on Sunday night. Dez Bryant will be out 4-6 weeks and he will be missed. One of my favorite players to watch because of his intensity. The Cowboys will have to hope Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley can hold it down until Dez gets back. If only they played the Giants every week.
- Did you stay awake? For those of us on the East Coast, The Vikings vs. 49er’s game Monday night didn’t get over until after 1am. But it was worth it to watch Carlos Hyde. The 49er’s running back looked strong and fast. Not to mention he had a video game spin move that led to one of his touchdowns. With Frank Gore in Indy and Reggie Bush already hurt. It’s the Carlos Hyde show in San Fran.
- Match Up of the Week: Seattle @ Green Bay. If you were one of the millions of people that read my NFC North Preview, you know how huge I thought this game was before the season started. And now, with Seattle losing in Week 1 it becomes even more important to the Seahawks. Just a guess, but Cam Chancellor might be getting his money before this game.
- 3 Team Parlay. Speaking of money, let me help you win some. Every week I’ll give you my best 3-team parlay to help you win some lunch money. For Week 2 parlay NE -1.5, Ari -2.5, and Ten -1. You’re Welcome